Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pangea


(From left to right) Ryan Oleary, Jared Byrne, Foreigner)


Pangea: "All the Earth" A term used to describe the earth's land masses being attached to one another, making one large continent, over 200 million years ago. This term is apart of the continental drift theory, it is also apart of my makeup evidently. I was given the title "pangea" in college due to my incredible knack of tricking people into believing I am from various ethnicities and continents.

The majority of the misleading started in high school, when girls that I knew well assumed that I was Puerto Rican, "or at least some kind of Hispanic." Also, a Filipina (just came to the U.S. only a year earlier) thought e. and i were siblings. She thought i was full blown flip!! Then in college it grew in to that of legends. I was teaching COLLEGE students about diversity and was talking on how it was wrong to assume. I asked them to name what they thought my ethnicity was (maybe thinking they would say something else but also assuming they were just going to shout out, "White"), their answers in order: Hispanic, Asian, Puerto Rican, Italian, Russian, I stopped them and revealed that I was an exotic and very rare English/German mix. people were shocked to know that i came from very white parents- needless to say I got my point across.

later that week my roomate's family was in town, about ten of them. we were all in our living room and that college teaching story came up. my roomate (ryan) asked his family to guess what ethnicity i was...mexican, central american, arminian, eastern european. once again we had to stop, i couldn't take going around the entire circle, i might laugh to death.

so there i am, at an african american church. i have been counseling this kid for months. a wonderful relationship, good working alliance. we get on the topic of race. i ask him how he feels about me being white in the middle of an all black environment- his counselor none the less. i would love to quote it for you, but for confidentiality purposes i will summarize. "hold up- you white!?!?" The ENTIRE time i have been COUNSELING this kid, he has thought i was african american with a "small amount of white" in me! Now, in middle school someone thought i was mixed, but not straight african american.

it amazes me that when i walk around, assuming that everyone sees me as i am, white, that it really isn't the case. while some (maybe the majority) do think i am white- those are not the ones that i end up meeting. It makes me think of how people perceive me when they first set eyes on me. I have really grown to embrace the pangea that i am. there are even times when I feel robbed when i can't sign up for minority scholarships. While i might feel a loss when it comes to lighter stuff like that, i think its ironic that God has put within me a heart that beats for diversity, unity within the church- a pangeic church if you will. Oh God, You and Your sense of humor.

Question of the Day: Did you think i was anything other than caucasian the first time you saw me?

6 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Dana Nassau said...

This made me laugh out loud at work. I don't remember what I thought you were...I'm thinking white. But, I think Scott might have asked that first night at the Wilson Bldg. and we had a conversation about it. It's so cool that you can be a chameleon like that.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger A Developing Integrationalist said...

i forgot about that first night when we met you two at jon and charlene's resident dinner. i do in fact remember scott asking me about my ethnicity and laughing with erin about it later that night. i need to add that one to my list.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Are you sure you're not Bulgarian? I mean, are you REALLY sure?

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

I am really going to need to see a picture of your "very white parents" before I will be fully convinced here.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Matt,
Interesting post. The school I teach at is majority African-American. There are two white students in the whole school. Anyway, my fourth grades have some interesting perceptions of race. At the beginning of the year I was told I wasn't white - I was light-skinned. This is very typical for young children to believe in Baltimore.
At this point they all know I'm white, but feel it very impolite too say so, and so continue to say I'm light-skinned or caucasian. They've explained that it's racist to call someone by a color.
To call someone white here in Baltimore is a highly insulting thing, and the kids are very careful not to do that.
Hope all is well with you,
Sara Alsup

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Kever said...

Dr. Eyenman,
Wait! You not Icelandic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home